Division of Nano Life Science in the Graduate School of Frontier Science Initiative, Kanazawa University, fosters excellent graduate students who will establish the novel new research field, “Nano Probe Life Science”, with the foundation of world level research by WPI-Nano Life Science Institute (WPI-NanoLSI).
WPI-NanoLSI is a research center established in 2017 as part of the World Premier International Research Center Initiative (WPI) of the Ministry of Education, Culture, Sports, Science and Technology (MEXT). The objective of this initiative is to form world-tier research centers.
- Graduate students are expected to be self-disciplined, then take part in various research activities in the institute, including international symposia, conferences, seminars, retreats, and so on.
- Graduate students can carry out their own research independently in the excellent research environment with the latest laboratory equipment in WPI-NanoLSI.
- Graduate students are encouraged to engage in interdisciplinary research such as nano-metrology, life sciences, supramolecular chemistry and computational sciences under supervisors in the various fields.
[†] shows faculty members who are now actively recruiting PhD. students.
|Takeshi Fukuma||Professor||Fukuma Laboratory|
|Noriyuki Kodera†||Professor||Kanazawa Biophysics Lab|
|Shigehisa Akine||Professor||Supramolecular Chemistry Lab|
|Katsuhiro Maeda||Professor||NanoLSI researchers|
|Kunio Matsumoto||Professor||Tumor Dynamics and Regulation|
|Richard Wong||Professor||Richard Wong Laboratory|
|Alexander S. Mikhailov†||Professor||Computational Molecular Biophysics|
|Clemens Franz†||Associate Professor||NanoLSI researchers|
|Satoshi Arai†||Associate Professor||Thermodynamic Cell Engineering|
|Satoru Okuda†||Associate Professor||OKUDA LAB|
|Yasufumi Takahashi||Associate Professor||NanoLSI researchers|
|Mikihiro Shibata||Associate Professor||NanoLSI researchers|
|Hiroki Konno†||Associate Professor||ResearchGate|
|Takahiro Nakayama||Associate Professor||ResearchGate|
|Shinji Watanabe||Assistant Professor||ResearchGate|
|Satoshi Toda†||Assistant Professor||Satoshi Toda lab|
|Kazuki Miyata||Assistant Professor||NanoLSI researchers|
|Ayumi Sumino||Assistant Professor||ResearchGate|
Sufficient Financial Support
Master’s course: Maximum 130,000JPY/month
Scholarship 50,000JPY plus Research Assistant salary maximum 80,000JPY
Doctoral course: Maximum 180,000JPY/month
Scholarship 100,000JPY plus Research Assistant salary maximum 80,000JPY
Please make sure to contact us for details, as there are some exceptions.
- Only Master’s course students who intend to continue onto the Doctoral course can receive the scholarship and RA salary.
- These conditions are subject to the approval of the university’s budget, so the current conditions only apply to the students who enter the Graduate School in October 2020 or April 2021.
- Government-sponsored foreign students and foreign students sent by their government cannot receive this scholarship.
- Scholarships will be awarded for two years for Master’s Program students and three years for Doctoral Program student.
- Students receiving other scholarships and adult students may not receive the full amount, or any amount, of this scholarship.
Full tuition exemption in WISE Program
Full tuition exemption for Master’s and Doctoral Program students taking part in the WISE Program*.
- The Wise Program imposes a limit on the number of eligible students and depends upon student evaluation.
- Full tuition exemption will be applied to two years for Master’s Program students and three years for Doctoral Program student.
*WISE Program: MEXT has solicited universities in The WISE Program (Doctoral Program for World-leading Innovative
& Smart Education) since the 2018-2019 academic year.
The following WISE Program has been approved for Kanazawa University:
WISE Program for Nano-Precision Medicine, Science, and Technology
Schedule for Admissions and entrance examination
|[Application guideline]||Opened in April|
|[Application period]||Master: June 15th – 19th /||Doctor: June 22nd – 26th|
|[Entrance examination (oral)]||Master: July 18th /||Doctor: July 14th – 17th|
|[Result announcement]||August 7th|
|[Admission date]||October 2020 / April 2021|
Please check the application guidelines for the exact schedule each year.
- 2020(October Admission) / 2021 Application Guideline for Master’s Program
- 2020(October Admission) / 2021 Application Guideline for Doctoral Program
Note: Applicants for Master’s program, who will complete (or completed) their school education up to bachelor program in less than 16 years, may be required to pass eligibility screening prior to making an application; Applicants for the doctoral program, who do not possess a master’s or professional degree, may be required to pass eligibility screening prior to making an application.
Full support for foreign students
Since many foreign students are studying at Kanazawa University, we prepare various supports for foreign students. For more information, please check this site.
For further details
For more information and instructions regarding scholarships, entrance exam, or other administrative issues, please contact Graduate School of Frontier Science Initiative, Kanazawa University (Email: s-yugo[at]adm.kanazawa-u.ac.jp – Please replace [at] with @). Also, please do not hesitate to contact the aforementioned NanoLSI faculty members directly.