One tenure-track Associate Professor or tenure-track Assistant Professor with a five-year contract
Nano Life Science Institute (NanoLSI), Kanazawa University
URL of institution or department
Content of job information
Nano Life Science Institute (WPI-NanoLSI) at Kanazawa University was launched in October 2017, with a support of World Premier International Research Center Initiative (WPI) program by MEXT, Japan. At NanoLSI, we will combine the world’s most advanced technologies in bio-scanning probe microscopy (SPM) and supramolecular chemistry to develop novel nanoprobe techniques that allow us to directly image, analyze, and manipulate nanodynamics of proteins, metabolites, and nucleic acids both on the surface of and inside the cell. In addition, through the use of innovative nanoprobe techniques combined with other advanced analytical methods, we aim to achieve fundamental understandings of the nano-level mechanisms underlying basic cellular functions (e.g., cell differentiation/proliferation, stemness, signal transduction, genome dynamics, etc.) and their cancer specific abnormalities. To this end, we will perform detailed comparisons between nanodynamics inside normal and cancer cells. Based on the developed technologies and knowledge acquired through such research works, we will establish a new research field termed “nanoprobe life science,” which aims to achieve nano-level understandings of various life phenomena including cancer using advanced nanoprobe technologies.
We are looking for one Associate (or Assistant) professor, henceforth referred to as “Jr. PI”, who will play a central role as an independent researcher in the integrated field among life science, nanometorology, chemistry and mathematical/computational science at the Nano Life Science Institute.
We expect a Jr. PI to play a significant role at NanoLSI in establishing the new interdisciplinary research field based on cancer research. Major goal should be understanding of critical biological phenomena in the field of cancer biology by using imaging technologies such as cutting-edge Bio-SPM and fluorescence microscopy, or development of novel nano-technology for innovative cancer diagnosis, prevention and treatment.
In addition to the research duties, Jr. PI may be asked to teach courses at the Division of Nano Life Science (newly-established in April 2020), the Graduate School of Frontier Science Initiative.
Address of work location
Nano Life Science Institute, Kanazawa University,
Kakuma-machi, Kanazawa, Ishikawa 920-1192, Japan
April 1, 2020 or as early as possible if later.
1 Area: Biology/ Discipline: Biological Sciences
2 Area: Biological Sciences/ Discipline: Oncology
3 Area: Medicine, dentistry, and pharmacy/ Discipline: Basic medicine
Full-time, tenure-track (5 years)
Applicants must satisfy all the following requirements:
1) Excellent research achievements in the field of Molecular biology, Cell biology or Tumor biology
2) Efficient communication skills in English for research activities
3) Ability to conduct research activities effectively both independently and in a team
4) Doctoral degree (including equivalent degrees such as a PhD from overseas universities) that has been conferred or will be conferred when he/she arrives at the post.
Tenure-track Associate Professor or tenure-track Assistant Professor, assigned as a Research professor to mainly concentrate on research activities (https://nanolsi.kanazawa-u.ac.jp/en/staff/rules/rp-system/).
[Details of salary, working hours, holiday, period of employment and insurance, accommodation, etc.]
[Period of employment]
- Five-year fixed-term contract
- The term of tenure-track (TT) is set for 5 years at the time of employment. The candidate will be promoted or converted to adequate tenured status, based on the evaluation of research achievements, performances, funding, etc.
- The employment start date is subject to negotiation.
Working hours are determined according to the Discretionary Labor System for Professional Work (7 hours and 45 minutes per day)
Annual salary system is applied, and the amount of starting salary will be decided based on academic experiences and so on.
(For example: Associate professor, aged 36 years: around 6,500,000JPY)
In addition to the salary, a researcher excellence allowance, generally 1,800,000 JPY per year/ for Associate prof., will be provided. The amount of the allowance will be decided based on research achievements and so on.
＜Research benefits and equipment＞
|Associate Prof.||Assistant Prof.|
|Start-up research fund||Total of 10,000,000JPY for the period of 5 years after the appointment||Total of 5,000,000JPY for the period of 5 years after the appointment|
|Employment of assistant||
One Assistant Prof. (5 years)
|One postdoctoral fellow might be assigned|
|Research space||Assigned one block in the collaborative research floor||×|
Confocal laser microscopy
Transmission Electron Microscope（TEM）
Scanning Ion Conductance Microscope(SICM) etc.
According to the rules of Kanazawa University.
http://www.kanazawa-u.ac.jp/university/administration/regulation/rules (in Japanese)
Deadline for receipt is December 31, 2019 (due NLT)
Application/selection/notification of result/contact details
- CV (including research achievements such as publications, presentations, awards and research grants)
- Proposal of research at NanoLSI
- Outline of past research activities
- Offprints of five major publications
If you have a recommender, a letter of recommendation should be sent separately to the following e-mail address.
- Please send the application documents by e-mail or post.
- If you send your application via email: we cannot receive emails larger than 5 MB, please use an uploader if the size of your email exceeds 5 MB. Please write “Application for Faculty Position (contact person: Prof. Hirao)” in the title of the e-mail.
- Please ensure that you provide your contact information including your address, phone number, and e-mail address in your application documents, write “Application for Faculty Position (contact person: Prof.Hirao)”in red on the envelope, and send your documents by registered mail. please send all the documents by registered mail to the following address:
The Administrative Department, Nano Life Science Institute
Kakuma-machi, Kanazawa, Ishikawa 920-1192, Japan
- Please note that all application documents will not be returned to you.
[Selection process (selection method and hiring decision), notification of result]
Document screening and interview
※We do not cover the transportation expenses associated with the interview.
[Contact details (department, official position, name, e-mail address, and phone number of the responsible person)] * Important
Professor, Dr. Atsushi Hirao
Nano Life Science Institute, Kanazawa University (WPI-NanoLSI)
1) The website below gives information about employment regulation.
2) Kanazawa University actively promotes a gender equality in the workplace. For details, see the following URL (in Japanese): http://cdl.w3.kanazawa-u.ac.jp/index.html
3) Kanazawa University also promotes courses delivered in English under our internationalization policy: http://sgu.adm.kanazawa-u.ac.jp/en/kusgu/project.html